BTS Suga and his depression

BTS’ Suga has become one of the biggest celebrities in Korea but he’s struggled with depression since his pre-debut days.

Suga first revealed his battle with depression during a radio interview in 2014.

He discussed how “large” his body was and that he worked extremely hard at exercising to lose weight.

Suga: “In the past, my body was quite large. People may not believe it but I had a really big frame so I worked really hard at exercising.”
But after sustaining a shoulder injury, doctors told him to stop exercising, making him feel totally helpless.

Suga: “After I hurt my shoulder, I went to the hospital and they told me not to exercise. I worked hard to stay worn out and tired.”
On BTS’ track, “Tomorrow”, Suga also confessed his battle with depression in the lyrics that he helped write.

I wanted to become happy and strong but why am I getting weaker?
Where am I going? I’m going here and there but I always come back here
Yeah, I’ll probably flow somewhere, is there an end to this maze?
— Suga (BTS – Tomorrow)

He continues to discuss themes of mental health issues against success on his mixtape, Agust D released in 2016.

The mixtape dives deeper into depression, obsessive-compulsive disorder, and social anxiety amongst other serious topics.

On the track “The Last,” Suga shares his experience on seeking professional help and understanding what it means to be identified as a K-Pop artist for himself.